Doubtful Sound is a vast, untouched wilderness. Three times longer than Milford Sound, it has a sea surface area roughly ten times larger due to its longer length and many side arms.
Our multi-day kayak trips (choose from 2 - 5 days) are all about allowing yourself some quality time to experience a personal adventure; a sea kayaking and camping trip in a remote environment that epitomises what Fiordland wilderness is all about – and of course, having fun along the way!
Each day involves approximately five hours of kayaking amidst towering cliffs, waterfalls and lush rain forest. There are wonderful secluded waterways and islands to explore. Penguins, seals and dolphins are sometimes encountered and bird song breaks the silence as we paddle the shoreline.
In the evening, we camp amidst the forest with fresh water nearby. Relaxing by the water's edge is a special place as dusk descends.
- Travelling to Doubtful Sound involves crossing beautiful Lake Manapouri by launch and over Wilmot Pass by coach/van
- Small groups – maximum of 8 people per guide
- Experienced kayak guides – who carry all the safety and emergency equipment, make all safety decisions, provide helpful paddling instruction, comprehensive safety briefing and tell you about Doubtful Sound
- Competence in water and moderate fitness required
- Kayakers supply own food (hot drinks, snacks and wine with dinner provided)
- Minimum age 16 years
- Te Anau coach connections included (pick ups from most accommodation)
- 2 Day Doubtful Sound: No paddling experience needed although drive, a can-do attitude and positive outlook all assist.
- 3 & 4 Day Doubtful Sound: Prior paddling experience preferred - our staff will be in contact to discuss your prior experience and suitability
- 5 Day Doubtful Sound: Prior paddling experience required - our staff will be in contact to discuss your prior experience and suitability
For 3, 4 and 5 day trips, it is essential you join us at 4pm the day before at our base in Te Anau to answer questions and work through details - e.g. food, equipment, advise your height and weight (wetsuit sizing), etc.
Booking requests for 3, 4 and 5 day Doubtful Sound Trips
We also operate 3, 4 and 5 day Doubtful Sound trips - please contact us directly for all booking requests for these trips.
Departure dates for the coming season are listed below.
|3-Day Doubtful Sound Sea Kayaking||26 Nov, 19 Dec & 28 Dec 2013
3, 14 & 21 Jan, 7, 18 & 26 Feb, 11 Mar 2014
|4-Day Doubtful Sound Sea Kayaking||28 Jan & 18 Mar 2014|
|5-Day Doubtful Sound Sea Kayaking||7 Jan, 11 Feb & 4 Mar 2014|
- 20% Multi-purchase REWARD
Book both Milford and Doubtful Sounds Sea Kayaking adventures together and SAVE 20% off your Milford Sound trip! More information
Specials: Any specials will be applied to your booking automatically - details of the savings are shown on your booking summary, prior to final payment.